Receiving Australian Government Capital Grant Payments
A CGP grant for an approved project cannot be paid if commencement of, or payment for, the work precedes the announcement of Ministerial approval.
Approved Authorities are required to enter into an Agreement (contract) with QIS BGA to accept the grant offer.
For projects approved in and prior to the 2018 round, the Agreement will be forwarded to the schools Approved Authority after the tender process, upon the BGAs receipt of an extract from the building contract, signed and dated by a duly authorised representative of the school and the successful contractor. Following the return of the executed Agreement, a schedule of payments will be forwarded to the school, overviewing the payment periods.
- Payments are, at most, over a 2 year period.
- At least 50% of the grant is paid in the first year and the remainder in the second year. Generally payments can be made over the first period of the build as shown in the construction contract.
- Payments are made quarterly by direct deposit to the school.
For projects approved in the 2019 round and beyond, the Agreement will be forwarded to the Approved Authority by QIS BGA immediately after the advice of Ministerial approval. All CGP grants will be paid upon receipt of a series of Statutory Declarations at the following milestones:
- Payment of 50% of grant amount at 25% completion (in terms of value)
- Payment of 40% of grant amount at 50% completion (in terms of value)
- Payment of 10% of grant at practical completion.
Note also that the accountability document titled Final Completion Certificate by an External Qualified Architect is also a requirement of the final milestone.
For both the Australian and State Government capital grants programs, various accountability processes are required. At specified points in time during the construction period and after the project has been completed, schools will complete documentation provided by the BGA, where architects/project managers and accountants confirm the project was completed in a manner that conforms to the approved project description, the approved plans and that grant monies were spent only on the approved project.
The QIS BGA Secretariat members will also conduct a post occupancy inspection, against the approved project description, to ensure facilities constructed reflect the project which received Ministerial approval.